It’s a lesson many of us seem harmless and familiar: in the autumn inhabitants of the private sector collect and burn fallen LST.
This perception is an echo of the Soviet era, when it was popular practice fall Saturdays, and they always ended with the burning of the collected leaves and debris. But a few years ago, environmentalists began to fight with this stereotype, proving that burning leaves is prohibited, as such actions harm the environment and human health. Burning leaves causes a significant harm to the environment. Given that it is a mass phenomenon and participate in it thousands of citizens, harm from the smoke of fires can be compared with the harm caused to the city’s industrial enterprises, informs Rus.Media.
Here are 7 main reasons why you shouldn’t burn the leaves:
1. In the fire burning takes place when bad oxygen enough and low enough temperatures. At combustion of one ton of crop residues in the air, nearly 9 kg of microparticles of smoke. These particulates consist of dust, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide, heavy metals and some carcinogenic compounds. In a glow letter stands out benzopren, can cause human cancer. Such harmful substances in smoke increase the swelling and allergic inflammation. People who suffer from allergic rhinitis and bronchial asthma every year becomes more and more. And breathing poisoned air the smoke of the burning leaves, they will experience endless bouts of cough, shortness of breath, runny nose, nasal congestion and so on.
2. Especially harmful burning leaves in apartment blocks. The smell of smoke through the open window enters the apartment. After inhaling such fresh air, the man begins aggravation. That’s why from the fire that burned day, people with asthma who are not even out on the street, it could have a seizure at night.
3. The smoke of the hearth with leaves contains approximately 350 times more cancer-causing substances than cigarette smoke.
4. In any case it is impossible to burn synthetics – plastic, rubber, cellophane, etc. At combustion of these products is poisonous gases.
During combustion, for example, plastic bags in the air is released up to 70 different chemical compounds, most of which to humans are poisonous.
5. As a rule, the leaves are not burned on the pavement, right where they were collected, that is on the earth. The result is the burning the top layer of the soil. Fire destroys the necessary microorganisms. The soil is a substrate, not a living ecosystem, and in the fire place for a long time, nothing grows. There is a myth that we now burn the leaves, and then this ash odobreno tree. In fact, in the ashes leaves no nutrients. Much more useful as fertilizer becomes organic matter after digestion the compost.
6. The leaves are nutrients that must get into the soil. Combustion of natural leaves the soil impoverished, turns to sand. And this, in turn, increases the overall dustiness of the city. If this autumn you leave the leaves under trees, and in two or three years, the ecological balance will be restored. Will appear microorganisms, bugs, worms and the soil bacteria, which are easy to handle even with hazardous benzpyrene that is contained in the air of large cities.
7. Code of Ukraine on administrative offenses provides a fine for burning leaves. Its size – from 340 to 1700 UAH.
Since the law to burn leaves in the city, the question arises – what to do with fallen leaves?
There are at least three ecological alternatives to burning. By the way, they take less time and effort than building a campfire.
Dig a hole the required size and depth and get out there a lot. Fall asleep to the ground. Until the spring of Zakopane, the leaves will turn into useful humus. Agronomists say, in leafy humus of nitrogen and phosphorus is almost the same as in cow manure.
The compost pit
If you live in a private house, you can make leaf compost. Dig a hole with a depth meter, a length and a half to two and three meters wide. Retreat from the walls of the pit at 20 centimeters on each side and do inside a wooden box. Scopum the four corners of the pole and nailed them to the Board. We leave between the boards the gap to 5 cm, below all the layers of the compost ventilated. Throws the bottom of the thick branches, bark and straw – need 10-15 centimeters. This is the drainage, which will take excess moisture. Close the top structure is a film, it will create a greenhouse effect. Now we’re being patient: the process of turning leaves into compost takes up to two years.
The export of leaves
If you don’t want to dig in the earth, you can take the leaves in urban greenhouses, or specially designated landfills, or just leave it lying under the trees, thus will protect the trees from frost. If you see bonfires of leaves, do not sit idly by, help to solve this environmental problem. Call, complain. Where? In city dispatching offices, MES – 101, an urban environmental service or in the regional ecospace. The person who turns in the inspection, must give the exact address where the offense is recorded. If the person who violated the law and burned the leaves, does not recognize his guilt, then the evidence of his guilt may be two witnesses, or photos, which recorded the burning of the foliage. If there are two witnesses who confirm that it was the fact of burning leaves, the inspector may order on administrative violation.