It is important to understand what happens to the body and decide to call an ambulance or just a massage.
What is cramps?
A cramp is a sudden and often involuntary contraction of one or more muscles. Usually reduces cramps feet: suffer the muscles of the back of the calf and front and back of the thigh. But not insured and arm muscles, abdominal wall, shoulder girdle, informs Rus.Media.
In most cases doctors believe this condition, though painful, but harmless. Especially if muscle spasm is ad-hoc and of short duration. However, there are combinations of symptoms that require an urgent visit to the doctor.
But first, let’s deal with the most common causes of seizures.
Why get cramps?
Origin of muscle spasm, the science is not clear. Often the cause of failed to install (however, if the cramp is single, we don’t try very hard). But there are situations that often precede spasm.
Here are seven of the most common causes of seizures:
Spasms are often the result of an overly vigorous approach to rounds in the gym. The resulting sprains and other minor injuries during the healing process can be accompanied not only by pain (delayed onset muscle soreness), and muscle spasms.
A classic example is carpal tunnel syndrome. It is a disease of those who spends a lot of time with a computer mouse in hand. Because of the constant fixed and unnatural position of the wrist muscle blood circulation. The result can be pain and muscle weakness, and seizures.
Overheating and/or dehydration
No matter what caused the overheating: summer heat, intense physical exertion or high fever due to an infection. The important thing is that velaucity together with then the body loses not only moisture, but also electrolytes necessary for proper transmission of nerve impulses. The muscles respond to this including convulsions.
The lack of potassium, calcium or magnesium can interfere with muscles to relax. And this leads to convulsions.
Emotional tension or neurological disorders
Under such conditions muscles it is often difficult to relax. On the effects you already know.
Leg cramps are familiar to many expectant mothers. The reasons for this are doctors still are not entirely clear.
Some diseases and the intake of certain medicines
Muscle spasms often accompany such diseases as diabetes, kidney problems, disorders of the thyroid gland. They can also be a side effect of taking certain medications. For example, furosemide and other diuretics, and drugs for the treatment of angina pectoris, osteoporosis, Alzheimer’s and others.
A couple of common special cases:
- Uncomfortable shoes. Shoes with unusually high heels, uncomfortable shoes, Slippers with no heel, which have to hold on the leg, tucking in his fingers. The muscles become so accustomed to unnatural tension that when you finally are freed from the “Spanish boots”, can’t relax, makes them spasm.
- Uncomfortable position during sleep. Stiff hands, legs, neck – all this, too, is a sign of poor circulation and may cause cramps in the night.
What to do when convulsions?
Fortunately, to get rid of the cramp in most cases is easy enough. Here are a few common first aid measures.
Rostant the injured muscle, do a light massage
This will help spasmoneme the muscle to relax. For example, are very common cramps in the legs can be removed like this: sit down, straighten your legs and pull the sock over the affected limb itself.
Use cold or hot compresses
Attach to the muscle soaked in warm water a towel or sheet with a heating element. You can take a warm bath or make a massage, sending a jet of water from shower on spasmeni muscle.
Not less effective and cold. Wrap in a towel an ice pack or frozen vegetables and lightly massage the muscle.
They will also help to relax spasmeni muscle.
When seizures dangerous?
Muscle spasm can be a symptom of a serious failure in the work of an internal organ or the organism as a whole. For example, seizures often make themselves known liver cirrhosis, diabetes mellitus type I, are developing neurological disorders, particularly epilepsy.
There is another danger. Cramp can affect not only big muscles, but smooth muscles are part of the membranes of the internal organs. Spasm of these muscles sometimes deadly. For example, spasm of the bronchi may lead to respiratory failure and spasms of the coronary arteries – deterioration of work, if not in heart failure.
Specialists of the research center Mayo Clinic is recommended as soon as possible to seek medical help if cramps:
- Happen often – several times a day or several days in a row. This is a reason to be wary and consult with a specialist.
- Cause serious, almost unbearable discomfort.
- Accompanied by swelling, redness or any other changes to the color and structure of the skin.
- Combined with high fever and pain.
- Cause sudden muscle weakness.
If any of these symptoms you are watching, you can exhale: most likely, it’s nothing dangerous spasms you will not get any. However to deal with their origin still stands. At least in order to save yourself from such pain in the future.
How to treat cramps
If seizures cause you discomfort (awake at night or continue long enough, despite the massage and compresses), go to the therapist. To identify violations in the body, a doctor will ask you some questions. For example:
- How often do you have seizures?
- What muscles do they affect?
- Do you take any medication?
- How often do you drink alcohol?
- What is your lifestyle and physical activity?
- How much fluid you drink every day?
For a more complete diagnosis may require blood tests and urine tests. With their help the doctor to determine the levels of trace elements, and will be able to check the condition of the kidneys and the thyroid gland. In some cases, electromyography is appointed. This is a test that measures muscle activity and diagnose existing in their work violation.
As a result, the doctor will establish the disease, a symptom of which is seizures, and appoint specifca treatment.
How to prevent seizures
Considering the most common causes of muscle spasms, prevention is obvious:
- Drink more water to prevent dehydration.
- Do not abuse alcohol. In addition, he is a powerful diuretic and stimulates fluid loss.
- Take regular exercise, to prevent circulatory disorders.
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Try to avoid stress and nervous overstrain. You must have proper rest and sleep.
- Make sure that your diet was full and included rich in potassium, magnesium and calcium products: kislomolochny, cereals, leafy greens, nuts and so on.
- If necessary, take mineral supplements and supplements. Of course, do this after a consultation with the therapist.