The Minister of Health, Gaetan Barrette, impatient face the immobility of the Trudeau government in health transfers.
When he was asked about further cuts of 127 positions that required this year to the integrated University Health Centre (CIUSSS) of Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean, the minister returned the argument against the federal government to require that it fulfills its election commitments quickly.
“The federal government must take a position and must commit to disburse the appropriate amounts from 2017 and at the moment we speak, this is not the case,” said the minister.
“We need those are there to maintain services.”
Gaétan Barrette said he had had a telephone meeting of health ministers of the provinces and the federal government, earlier this week, in which the enhancement request was unanimous.
“We ask that the federal government – and all provinces request – restore an adequate level of health financing, and not in 2022, from 2017,” insisted the minister Barrette.
He claims an enhancement of transfers so that federal money covers 25% of health spending in the province, rather than the current 22%.
The Minister says that even the Federal Health Minister, Jane Philpott is on the same wavelength as the provinces, but it has no elbow room.
“She (Ms. Philpott) has a reading quite similar to our own situation and understands the issue, but the decision is government. It is the government that has to decide transfers and the level of transfers and then when these amounts will be transferred, “the Minister said.
Now, the federal-provincial meeting of finance ministers on June 20, has allowed no progress in this field.
Gaetan Barrette said that the Trudeau government was committed to put in place a new agreement on health transfers and regrets that there is still no formal discussion begun today.
In addition, he noted that the federal Liberals were committed in their platform to invest in home care for the elderly, mental health and addiction, but have released amounts, so far, that in home care.
The Minister is concerned especially the Ottawa silence.
“A budget that begins to build in June (…) and it ends in the fall. Currently, there is a major issue, very significant and will have consequences if the federal government takes by the appropriate decisions. ”
Cuts or cuts?
As for the staff reductions at CIUSSS the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean, the Minister made an amazing shade to ensure that the public services would not be affected, despite the elimination of 127 positions.
“Users do not will suffer, since these are not cuts but the cuts,” he argued.
In wanting to specify the grade, he continued with this explanation: “Of the 127 posts in question which are real, the vast majority are vacancies.”
Their removal has also been a fond turn the Minister of Health to explain downsizing “. So there are actually jobs that will be optimized, but they do not receive the care”
The CIUSSS the Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean has to deal with a budget reduction of $ 15 million, part of the overall cutting $ 242 million uncovered by La Presse last weekend.