OTTAWA — The seven deputies dissenters were willing to cut permanently the bridges with the Bloc québécois last week, but they were convinced in extremis by Gilles Duceppe to wait before making the announcement publicly, depending on what was learned The canadian Press.
The ex-leader of the Bloc québécois would have persuaded them to wait to know the outcome of the general council, which will take place on Sunday in Drummondville, according to sources close to the party.
A quarantine district associations bloquistes will require the holding of a vote of confidence early with the support of the member of parliament and chairman of the party, Mario Beaulieu, formerly a faithful ally of Martine Ouellet.
Their goal is to turn the page on the crisis engulfing the Bloc as quickly as possible to then be able to rally the seven members dissenting. The 42 constituency associations suggest, therefore, that the proposal of referendum, the national office be set aside and a vote of confidence by universal suffrage took place on may 15.
The chief bloquiste national office and the advocate rather the holding of a vote of confidence on 1 and 2 June, with a referendum on the mission of the Bloc québécois as a promoter of Quebec independence.
“We talk about two weeks, frankly, responded to Ms. Ouellet in an interview. This is not two weeks that will make a difference. Then, it is necessary that the vote is well-organized. It must be well structured to allow everyone to participate.”
Seven of the ten members of the Bloc québécois had slammed the door at the end of the month of February because they could not agree with their leader. A crisis caused by a problem of leadership, according to the dissenters, and the 42 constituency associations.
Three of the dissidents interviewed at the exit of the question and answer period, on Friday, failed to close the door completely on a return to the Bloc québécois in the event of the departure of Martine Ouellet.
“I certainly want that the idea of the Block is to survive, wished Gabriel Ste-Marie. We need to have a voice here.”
“Should be a study of what will happen, said Monique Pauzé. Of the seven, one is always coordinated, and we will continue to do so.”
Mp Michel Boudrias was more categorical. “This is not a guaranteed return in regards to myself”, he said, stating that he should consider it.
Martine Ouellet continues to reject the challenge to its leadership. It is a completely different reading of the events that led to the crisis. The conflict is due, in his opinion,two different interpretations of the mission of the Bloc québécois, either as a promoter of the independence, or rather as a defender of the interests of Quebec on the federal scene.
In a letter to activists bloquistes which The canadian Press has obtained a copy, the chief defends the idea of a referendum and accused the dissidents have questioned “internal democracy” of the party, disdaining to article 1 of its programme on the promotion of independence.
“It is therefore essential to agree on the mission of the Bloc québécois in order to be able to join all together to row in the same direction. And what is more strong than the choice of the universal suffrage of the members to do?,” she wrote.
“Sadness” and “disappointment”
Martine Ouellet inadequately explains the volte-face of Mario Beaulieu, who had approved this proposal to get out of the crisis with the entire national office.
“I do not understand his change of attitude and change of direction like that along the way, it surprises me a lot,” she confided in an interview.
Mario Beaulieu was one of three deputies who were ranged on the side of Martine Ouellet when the seven members had slammed the door in February, but he had then withdrawn his support a month later. It was he who had recruited in 2017 for it to become a leader of the Bloc québécois.
Ms. Ouellet believes that the number of constituency associations which would be returned against it is exaggerated and that the reality on the ground is different.
“I have talked with several presidents of the county, with several delegates and I can tell you that there are really several support really very, very strong despite everything that people have heard of not true since about a month”, she argued.
She keeps her head high and said that they wanted to present themselves “very transparent” to the general council on Sunday. It is now up to party members to decide the next scenario.
“The Bloc québécois has never been as pro-independence and it is like that we’ll be able to win the most seats possible in 2019, she said. Members have a choice to make, and I have confidence that people will want to make the choice of independence and the republic of Quebec.”