OTTAWA – The prime minister Justin Trudeau has called early Tuesday morning of”attack senseless” and “horrific tragedy” of the event that has been 10 dead and 15 wounded the day before in Toronto.
He, however, said that it is “pretty clear” that there is no connection to the national security of the country, even though it will still take time to understand the motivations of the suspect.
“The investigations are still ongoing.(…) For the reasons, the motivations, this is going to take a little time to understand what was in the mind of the aggressor in this situation”, he responded during a short press briefing held in the foyer of the House of commons.
“Canadians have a lot of questions and we are all together to ask us any questions on this attack senseless”, he added.
Mr. Trudeau has acknowledged that it is necessary “to reflect the changing circumstances of our world”. We will have to find how to increase security while remaining faithful to the values we cherish as Canadians, he said.
“We must not begin to live in fear, in uncertainty all the days when you walk in our cities and when we live our lives,” he advised, touting the need to “remain a country that is open and free and comfortable in our values”.
Then, he insisted: the attack on Monday does not change the alert level in the country. It does not change anything either to the security plans for the summit of G7 which will be held in June in Charlevoix.
As on the previous day in his written statement, the prime minister offered Tuesday morning, bright voice, his sincere condolences to the victims and their loved ones. He praised the first responders “extraordinary caliber”, whose efforts have certainly helped to save lives.
For his visit to the scene of the attack, it will not be for everyone.
“It continues to be an active investigation. I intend to go there as soon as it will make sense that I should go there. For now, I think we’re going to let people do their work without too much disruption,” he explained.
Reactions in Washington and Ottawa
Since Washington, presidents american and French have added their voice to the sympathies expressed.
“Our hearts are accompanying grieving families,” said Donald Trump while his host Emmanuel Macron echoed the same sentiment. “In these times, we stand together,” assured the French president.
The president Macron had already spoken with Mr. Trudeau in the Monday evening to express his solidarity and to offer him the aid of France.
The leader of the NDP, Jagmeet Singh, has chosen the social media to express her pain, on Monday night.
“All of Canada is crying for the people affected by the violence today in Toronto. To the families who have lost a loved one, people injured, and all first responders, we send you our love and our support,” he wrote.
The leader of the official Opposition, Andrew Scheer, has also offered his condolences to the relatives of the victims. In a written statement, Mr. Scheer pointed out that “the safety of Canadians should be the priority of any government” and that “the individual responsible for this horrendous attack must be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”
A man of 25 years, Alex Minassian, he was arrested by the Toronto police. He appeared in court Tuesday morning to respond to ten charges of first-degree murder and 13 charges of attempted murder.
ALSO READ : Attack in Toronto: Alek Minassian accused of 10 murders